Home > Departments > Mathematics
Learn Math, Live Math, Love Math!
- To enable students to acquire mathematical concepts and skills and apply them in mathematical situations.
- To develop and support students’ cognitive and metacognitive skills in Mathematics for them to be problem solvers imbued with 21st century competencies (21st CC).
- To enable students to see and appreciate the relevance of Mathematics in real life.
- To develop students to be life-long learners with the ability to think logically, abstractly, critically and creatively.
- To nurture in students the joy of learning and to foster their positive attitudes towards the learning of Mathematics through engaging learning experiences.
Math department Programmes & Events
PRIMARY 1 & 2
LEARNING SUPPORT IN MATHEMATICS
The aim of Learning Support in Mathematics (or LSM) is to provide early intervention for students who have yet to attain the foundational knowledge and skills in numeracy required at their grade level. Students are supported by a qualified LSM teacher for all their Mathematics lessons.
FUN IN MATH
Fun in Math programme aims to stimulate excitement and enthusiasm in Mathematics by engaging students in mathematics related games and activities.
PRIMARY 3 - 6
MATH SUPPORT PROGRAMME
The Math Pull-Out Programme caters to the learning needs of our students. Through this programme, the teachers are better able to customize and conduct Mathematics lessons at the pace which best suits the needs of the different groups of students.
MATHEMATICS OLYMPIAD TRAINING PROGRAMME
The Mathematics Olympiad Training programme provides students with an opportunity to enrich their learning in Mathematics. Students will have the opportunity to deepen their mathematical knowledge, be equipped with problem solving skills and strategies to solve non-routine and higher order math problems.
The E2K Mathematics Programme aims to foster independence in mathematical thinking skills as well as to nurture the 21st CC such as resilience, resourcefulness, critical and inventive thinking and effective communication skills.
Thinking@Play is an initiative aimed at providing the students with an opportunity to play mathematics-related games. Thinking@Play sessions are conducted during the various recesses.
FUN WITH MATH SHARING SESSION WITH PARENTS
The Fun in Math sharing sessions provides an opportunity for our teachers to share with the parents of our Primary 1 students tips on how they can help to motivate their children in the learning of mathematics. Through the session, activities, card trick and puzzles which can be played at home to promote mathematical thinking and problem-solving are shared.
MATHEMATICS OLYMPIAD COMPETITIONS
To provide our students with the opportunities to be exposed to intellectually challenging mathematical questions, to challenge and stretch their mathematical potential, to stimulate their interest and ignite their passion in mathematics.
The school participants in the following Mathematics Olympiads annually:
- Raffles Institution Primary Mathematics World Competition (RIPMWC)
- Singapore Mathematical Olympiad for Primary School (SMOPS)
- National Mathematical Olympiad Singapore (NMOS)
CELEBRATING MATH DAY
Celebrating Math Day is a day set aside in each term from Term 1 to Term 3 to focus on Math activities and learning beyond the prescribed school syllabus. The focus theme for each term is different and there are a total of three main themes: Mathematician Day where the students learn about different mathematicians and their contribution, Economy Day where the students learn about economy related concepts and ideas and Measurement Day where concepts and ideas relating to measurements are shared with students.